The Lutheran Order of Service for Last Sunday in the Church Year is available here in isiZulu and seTswana. Today it comes with a sermon based on God’s Word from the Holy Gospel of St. Matthew in the 25 chapter verses 1-13 (Parable of the 10 Virgins) written by retired missionary Kurt-Günther Tiedemann in isiZulu (wz1558151122 n T. 27) and another sermon by retired missionary Gerhard Heidenreich in seTswana (wt1558151122 n Tr 27).
The readings for the Last Sunday in the Church Year are:
- Old Testament: Isaiah 65:17-19 (20-22) 23-25
- The Epistle: Revelation 21:1-7
- The Gospel: St. Matthew 25:1-13
- Psalm: 126:1-2.5-6
- The liturgical colour is green.
May you have a very blessed weekend and have time to meditate on the watchword for Last Sunday in the Church Year: “Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning.“ (St.Luke 12:35)
And we pray with this collect: O Lord, absolve Your people from their offences that, from the bonds of our sins which be reason of our frailty we have brought upon ourselves, we may be delivered by Your bountiful goodness; through Jesus Christ Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit one God now and forever. Amen.
Hymn for this Sunday:
- “Wake, awake, for night is flying,“ The watchmen on the heights are crying; “Awake, Jerusalem, arise!“ Midnight hears the welcome voices And at the thrilling cry rejoices: “Oh, where are ye, ye virgins wise? The Bridegroom comes, awake! Your lamps with gladness take! Hallelujah! With bridal care Yourselves prepare To meet the Bridegroom, who is near.”
- Zion hears the watchmen singing, And all her heart with joy is springing,She wakes, she rises from her gloom; For her Lord comes down all-glorious, The strong in grace, in truth victorious, Her Star is ris’n, her Light is come. “Now come, Thou Blessed One, Lord Jesus, God’s own Son, Hail! Hosanna! The joyful call We answer all And follow to the nuptial hall.”
- Now let all the heav’ns adore Thee, Let men and angels sing before Thee, With harp and cymbal’s clearest tone. Of one pearl each shining portal, Where, dwelling with the choir immortal, We gather round Thy radiant throne. No vision ever brought, No ear hath ever caught, Such great glory; Therefore will we Eternally Sing hymns of praise and joy to Thee.
Hymn #609 The Lutheran Hymnal Text: Matthew 25: 1-13“Wake, Awake, for Night is Flying“ by Philipp Nicolai, 1556-1608 translated by Catherine Winkworth, 1829-1878 alt. titled: “Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme“
If you are called to preach this weekend, may the triune God give you joy and strength, wisdom, knowledge and insight – and the true words and pictures to preach his holy will faithfully according to his most precious revelation of his will and promises in both the Old and New Testament! However if you are not preaching, but listening – then listen as if God is talking to you + His precious gospel is “the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.” (Rom 1:16 NIV)
We thank the Lutheran Heritage Foundation for supporting the distribution of hard-copies of these orders of worship and sermons throughout Southern Africa. If you also want a copy please do not hesitate to subscribe by writing to EAWWeber@bundunet.co.za.