Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits (Psalm 103,2)
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah. Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit as it was in the beginning, is now and shall be forever. Amen.
And Jacob went out from Beersheba, and went toward Haran. And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep. And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. And, behold, the Lord stood above it, and said, I am the Lord God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed; And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed. And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of. And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the Lord is in this place; and I knew it not. And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven. And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it. And he called the name of that place Bethel (Gn28:10-19a)
The epistle by St. Paul to the Romans 8:14-17
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
The gospel from the evangelist St. Luke 17:11-19
And it came to pass, as he went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee. And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off: And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us. And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed. And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine? There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger. And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.
The Sermon for today on St. Paul’s first letter to the Thessalonians 1:2-10.
We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers; Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father; Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God. For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake. And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost. So that ye were ensamples to all that believe in Macedonia and Achaia. For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad; so that we need not to speak any thing. For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God; And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.
The liturgical colour is green.
Together with the Christian Church we pray a collect for this Sunday
O Lord, keep your church with your perpetual mercy, and because of our frailty we cannot but fall, keep us ever by Your help from all things hurtful and lead us to all things profitable to our salvation; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. (LSB Altar Book Pg. 596)
Hymn for the week:
- From God can nothing move me; He will not step aside But gently will reprove me And be my constant guide. He stretches out His hand In evening and in morning, My life with grace adorning
- Wherever I may stand. When those whom I regarded As trustworthy and sure Have long from me departed, God’s grace shall still endure. He rescues me from sin And breaks the chains that bind me. I leave death’s fear behind me; His peace I have within.
- The Lord my life arranges; Who can His work destroy? In His good time He changes All sorrow into joy. So let me then be still: My body, soul and spirit His tender care inherit According to His will.
- Each day at His good pleasure God’s gracious will is done. He sent His greatest treasure In Jesus Christ, His son. He every gift imparts The bread of earth and heaven Are by His kindness given, Praise Him with thankful hearts!
- Praise God with acclamation And in His gifts rejoice. Each day finds its vocation Responding to His voice. Soon years on earth are past; But time we spend expressing The love of God brings blessing That will forever last. ,
- Yet even though I suffer The world’s unpleasantness, And though the days grow rougher And bring me great distress, That day of bliss divine, Which know no end or measure, And Christ, who is my pleasure, Forever shall be mine.
- For thus the Father willed it, Who fashioned us from clay; And His own Son fulfilled it And brought eternal day. The Spirit now has come, To us true faith has given; He leads us home to heaven. praise the Three in One!
Ludwig Helmbold 1532-1598
If you are called to preach this weekend, may the triune God give you joy and strength, wisdom, knowledge and insight to preach his holy will faithfully and his gracious promises invitingly! If you are not preaching, then listen for God is talking (Hoc dixit Dominus) + His precious gospel is “the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.” (Rom 1:16 NIV