God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. (1Co 1:9 NIV)
All spiritual gifts and graces are found solely in Jesus Christ. Outside of him and without him there is no spiritual fulfillment nor true salvation. Whoever is called by the triune God to believe in Jesus Christ as his only Lord and Saviour can rejoice and be grateful, because God is faithful and surely keeps his promises. The Lord himself is preparing you by his gracious means to his goal of complete harmony and union with him on that day, when he will be all in all and his glory will be manifest forever. Trust in his faithfulness. Confide in his goodness. Give thanks to him for all the grace, mercy, love and peace he has bestowed so richly on you through his Son Jesus Christ – our Lord and God. Go forward with confidence and gratitude. Continue to the very end. Experience his goodness and mercy that are new every morning. The more you enjoy, the more be grateful and sing his praises more and more.
Lord, another day and week are coming to a close. We approach you, the eternal God, who knows no change or faltering in your good will and loving resolve for us and your Church even as we pass in daily rhythm from light to darkness and night to day again. We commit this week back into your merciful hands. Forgive were we failed, heal all shortcomings and hurting wounds. We are tired by the ever quickening pace of life. We long for your uncreated light of eternity. Lord, we thank you that you carry us in forbearance and mercy. We thank you that you are leading us to your everlasting peace. We thank you that tomorrow is your day. Let our souls rest in you. Grant that we may hear your voice clearly. Lord, forgive us, save us, strengthen and prepare us. Our hope is in you. You guide us safe and surely according to your absolute will. You will bring us to perfection. We praise you o Father of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. You are the God of all goodness and our most blessed refuge of safety and tranquility. We praise and thank you now and forever. Amen.
1. Christ, mighty Savior, Light of all creation, you make the daytime radiant with the sunlight and to the night give glittering adornment, stars in the heavens.
2. Now comes the day’s end as the sun is setting; mirror of daybreak, pledge of resurrection; while in the heavens choirs of stars appearing hallow the nightfall.
3. Therefore we come now evening rites to offer, joyfully chanting holy hymns to praise you, with all creation joining hearts and voices singing your glory.
4. Give heed, we pray you, to our supplication; that you may grant us pardon for offenses, strength for our weak hearts, rest for aching bodies, soothing the weary.
5. Though bodies slumber, hearts shall keep their vigil, forever resting in the peace of Jesus, in light or darkness worshiping our Savior now and forever. (Latin 7th Century tr Alan McDougall 1895-1964)
This is a rather free translation of Wilhelm Löhe’s devotion for Saturday after the eighteenth Sunday after the high holiday and festival of the Holy Trinity. It is found on Pg. 347 in Lob sei Dir ewig, o Jesu! (Eternal Praise to you o Jesus!) edited by A. Schuster and published in the Freimund Verlag, Neuendettelsau 1949.